Today the Department of Awesome Natural Wonders takes us to Ashikaga Flower Park in Tochigi, Japan, home to the country’s largest great wisteria. This colossal blooming vine is 144 years old and covers an area measuring 1,990 square meters (half an acre). Its numerous heavy branches are held up by a vast network of steel supports. In the spring countless racemes of pink and purple flowers bloom to form a vibrant canopy that practically brushes the heads of the park’s many visitors. If you’re planning a visit, the best time to behold this awesomely enchanting sight is from late April to mid May.
Visit Demilked for additional images.
Crows are scary
- use tools
- Can be taught to speak (like parrots)
- Have huge brains for birds
- like seriously their brain-to-body size ratio is equal to that of a chimpanzee
- They vocalize anger, sadness, or happiness in response to things
- they are scary smart at solving puzzles
- some ravens stay with their mates until one of them dies
- they can remember faces
- SIDENOTE HERE BECAUSE HOLY SHIT. They did an experiment where these guys wore masks and some of them fucked with crows. Pretty soon the crows recognized the masks = douchebag. But the nice guys with masks they left alone. THEN, OH WE’RE NOT DONE, NO SIR crows that WEREN’T EVEN IN THE EXPERIMENT AND NEVER SAW THE MASK BEFORE knew about mask-dudes and attacked them on sight. THEY PASSED ON THE FUCKING INFORMATION TO THEIR CROW BUDDIES.
- They remember places where crows were killed by farmers and change their migration patterns.
Guys I’m really scared of crows now.
i love crows so much
crows are amazing
My favorite legend is that crows are the souls of the dead
crows are the coolest shit
I had a pet crow for while, he tried to fledge before he could properly fly and ended up on the side of the road. I watched him for about 6 hours, he wasn’t being fed and he couldn’t fly at all. Eventually I picked him up and brought him home where he lived quite happily in a very large dog crate. After 3 days he worked out how to open the crate. I taught him to fly with the bribe of mini cheddars and he was free to come and go as he liked. He would ride around on my dogs back but didn’t go far.
After 18 months he went back to the wild but occasionally visited.
More pics and vids here